This historic 1907 Pre-Earthquake Craftsman Timber Cottage is a true rarity. They are rich in history – built by William Bush to house survivors of the 1906 earthquake and even was a design school at one point. In 2003, the cottages were purchased by a San Francisco couple who engaged Jerome Buttrick of Buttrick Projects A + D – they embarked on a ten year path to rehabilitation and eventual masterful rebirth and beautification.
This 2,750+ square foot home was re-imagined into a tech forward state of the art masterpiece, while retaining the gorgeous vintage details and history of this rare, residential offering. Three levels of luxury featuring three spacious bedrooms and three and a half, zen baths.
- Generous open concept living and dining great room boasts dramatic, cathedral ceilings with shiplap paneling and Heath Ceramic gas fireplace.
- The sky-lit kitchen by Bulthaup is superb and spacious with Miele & SubZero appliances and eat-in island.
- The floors are wide plank French white oak from First, Last & Always.
- The windows and doors in the main areas are single glazed, reused from the original cottages. All other windows are new.
- The sexy powder room is made of the same French Oak as the floors, inspired by a project in Southern France (see Travels with an Architect: A Restored Chateau in France, Farm Included).
- Steel and Oak staircases span the three stories.
- Each master bedroom has built-in, custom cabinetry designed by Buttrick and fabricated by Brian Eby.
- The top floor master has stunning Golden Gate Bridge and Palace of Fine Arts views and features retractable bedside tables and wall safe.
- Master bath features radiant underfloor heating with white ceramic tile from Ann Sacks.
- Lower level en-suite bathroom boasts Calacatta d’Oro marble bathtub installed in a walk-through shower. The white glass tile is from Ann Sacks and the floor tile is white thassos marble.
- Street side, there is a car lift linking the street to an eight-car “Batcave” garage beneath the cottages. The lift rises to street level to receive (or deliver) a car through the fence gate. The lift is brilliantly camouflaged with a green roof of succulents. This home has 2-3 car parking and tons of storage on the garage level.
- Great form and flow throughout. The interior walls are painted in Benjamin Moore’s China White, with ceilings in White Heron.
- Fantastic, generous, custom closets and smart storage space on all levels and smart-waiter to multiple levels.
- LED lighting, Nest Thermostats and integrated speakers.
- The exterior siding is reclaimed redwood shiplap from the original cottages, paired with new cedar siding cut to match and painted in Benjamin Moore’s Floral White.
- Landscaping by Marta Fry Landscape Associates features boxwood hedges and plum trees and is visible from the street. Around 70 percent of the brick pavers were reused from the original cottages.